Friday, June 1, 2007

Days 27 to 32: Regina to Winnipeg

I'm back. Sorry for the lack of blogs folks. There really hasn't been much to say, I guess, but here's the summary of the past week or so anyways.

Since our rest day in Regina, we've pedalled over 120km/day. From Regina we went to Grenfell, SK. It was a cute little RV park that we stayed in at the back of a sportsplex thingy. One our way to Grenfell we passed a fella from Hungary named Attila that is also cycling across Canada. I believe it was also this day that Mom and Dad had a gal from Vancouver stop in at the RV while they were waiting for us. They chatted for a bit and found out that she is also cycling across with a friend of her's. (We met him the next day, but didn't end up seeing her). It would seem the cycling adventures are well under way for many people this year.

Anyways, from Grenfell we went to the Manitoba border. Literally. We parked the RV in the parking lot of the Saskatchewan welcome center for the night. Attila arrived here later and camped beside the motorhome (and yes, we offered him food and all sorts of things, but he seems very determined to be independant!).

From the border, we cycled to Brandon, then Brandon to Portage le Prairie (an 8 hour day of pedalling....we arrived absolutely exhausted), then finally Portage le Prairie to Winnipeg where we are now. Warren and I are on our rest day today after having said our goodbyes to Tanya this morning who set off after a monstorous MEC outfitting trip yesterday afternoon.

We are sorry to see our teammate leaving us, but completely understand her time constraints at the other end of the trip, and wish her the absolute best. Tanya has been great fun to travel and cycle with...and her endurance continues to amaze me. I am really glad that she will have someone to travel with at least across the desolate Northern Ontario. Yes, we'll definitely miss our third person in many ways. I know I'll be missing her help during the pulling...allowing me to draft that bit longer. We will do just fine however, and I'm excited to see what the rest of the trip will bring.

In general, the weather has been cold, wet and windy....in the wrong direction for us! However, today is beautiful: Sunny and quite warm, so I'm thrilled. Hopefully it is here to stay.

Other than Tanya heading off on her own, the other big change is that Mom and Dad left us yesterday and Joanne is back. Time flies. It seems like we were just in Calgary where Mom and Dad were arriving and Joanne was leaving. I enjoy all of our support crew, so it's been a happy and sad sort of time.

We've got the RV pretty much organized for tomorrow once again having gotten our grocery shopping done this morning, and doing the usual rest day tidying as well as gotten Joanne all moved back in again. At this point, we're just chilling, enjoying the time off and will likely be exploring more of Winnipeg later in the day.

I guess that's all for now. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't think of what it is right now, so it'll have to wait until the next post if I think of it then.

Ciao for now!

No comments: