Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ottawa to Quebec City

So we've left Ottawa. The day out was a bit frustrating as Warren had had 4 flats before noon. Nonetheless, we made it to Montebello where Randy and Joanne managed to find us a campsite even though we had no reservations and had forgotten it was St. Jean Baptiste weekend. These two are fabulous.

The next night was in Saint-Anne-des-Plaines which is basically north of Montreal. The ride was good. I'm finding that after a week off the bike, my muscles seem to have repaired well and we're able to ride quite a bit faster which is kinda neat. The campground was pretty full, again, due to the long weekend, however we got in there. The washrooms were worth noting though. Randy and Joanne said "Don't even look in there, use Truck's washroom." So that's what we did. I did check out the showers though and reported back to the team that they were better off waiting until we found better facitilities. Honestly, it was gross. It cost 75 cents for about 5 min. The shower had barely any pressure (which we've come across lots over the course of the trip), I never did figure out how turning the temperature knobs corresponded to the water temperature change, but worst was a toss up between the colour and the smell. I consider the event as "taking one for the team". :P

The next two stops were Louisville and Portneuf respectively. Both great rides. Pretty quick with over 27km/h averages for the 110+km each day. Granted we had tailwinds both days, but still.

Finally, we rode into Quebec yesterday. It was a short day of only 55km, thank goodness. We were both pretty sore due to our tad harder riding, and we had a headwind. However, as seems to be the trend now and again this trip, just before the campsite there was a big hill. And this one was a doozy. We figure 12-13% for about 200 to 300 m. I thought I was going to loose my lunch. Fortunately, I was so hungry at this point I had nothing to lose. Ha. :)It was the hardest short-climb of the ride so far for sure. Regardless, we made it, checked in and spent remainder of the day and evening wandering around the old city and went out for dinner as well. Warren commented on the irony of the first place we've really decided to stop and wander around being a place built on the side of a cliff where all we do is walk up and down hills. I would heartily agree. So we decided to spend another day here. :)

I'm just about done, but first I must mention the storms of the last few nights. It's rained overnight every night for the past 4 nights now. And I mean RAIN. Then last night while we were eating downtown, we had one of the biggest thunderstorms I've ever seen. Quite impressive. And the rain. Oh the rain. Torrential downpours for significant periods of time. It was awesome.

Let's see what today shall bring....

Until next time....

No comments: