Friday, May 18, 2007

Day 16: Cochrane to Carbon

Warren and I started out from Cochrane about 8:30 this morning and were going to meet Tanya at a crossroads north of Calgary about 36km into our ride. After an initial 8km of climbing out of Cochrane (what a way to start the day!), we continued along what Warren had told me were going to be "flatlands" which in fact turned out to be pretty darned big and steep rolling hills. Ah well. We had a tailwind for much of the ride, so that helped considerably.

We finally met up with Tanya and carried on. The days total (for Warren and I) ended up being just over 138km. Our longest, by far, day yet, with an average speed of about 26.8km/hr. And we still feel pretty good. WOOHOO!

Oh, I have to note that one of our highlights of the day was seeing a herd of Buffalo. They were so cool. Apparently they didn't like the look of us cyclists though, as the whole herd bolted as we were almost pedalling by their field. Not graceful animals...but so impressive.

Anyhoo, so we ended up in campsite in the town of Carbon tonight. Because we went so far today though, it means the trip to Drumheller tomorrow will be a super short jaunt of about 35km. We really wanted to stop there to explore the area, so we'll be camping right in the town. I think we're all pretty excited about seeing this place. I know I am. (Of course, I'm also excited about the short day, but shhhh! don't tell my teammates! :P)

One, uh, rather odd thing about the washrooms here at the campsite that I noticed -- there are two toilet stalls in the building, however, the wall separating the stalls is ABOVE the height of the seats! We all had a good laugh about that tonight, so I thought I'd share.

Until next time!

No comments: